Do you do yoga? Meditate? Read books and strive to eat a balanced diet? Well then why the fuck are you not lucid dreaming? In my opinion it’s just as important as all of the mentioned above and here is why.
1. To create any fantasy you can imagine.Imagination is like a muscle. The more you use it the better it gets. Now let’s imagine all the things that we have yet to imagine. Hard to imagine huh? Well before we get too meta maybe we should look at the things that we can think about. There are a lot of things to be thought. A lot of universes to be created. All of which can be done in the lucid dream. It’s like having your own Oculus rift only waaay the fuck better. Have you ever wanted to fly? Hang out with dinosaurs? Bang it out with 50 of the hottest creatures anyone has ever seen? Sit in solitude on the dark side of the moon? All of this can be done by exercising the lucid dreaming muscle and its not as hard as you might think.
2. To travel to different dimensions.
Ok now is the time to get meta. There is more to the lucid dream than just the imagination. Just imagine, there are parts of your brain that you have yet to unlock. Flying through space is easy enough but ripping the space/time fabric apart and sendin it hard into the space between space; talk about a trip. Actually you can’t really talk about it. I mean, people try all the time but one of the common things that people express about these states of being is that it’s so hard to describe. It must be lived. The fact that humans are capable of mystical experience is baffling. To know that you have some of the most profound experiences of your life through a practice is some of the greatest part of being human.
3. To talk to sides of yourself that you didn’t know where there.
A necessary requirement to lucid dreaming is that the dreamer becomes aware. Something in the mind exclaims “What presents itself before me is but a dream!”. By becoming aware of yourself you are able to become the unattached observer and thus gain great control over all aspects of life. In Robert Waggoner’s book “Lucid Dreaming: Gateway to the Inner Self” he refers to a state of consciousness within the dream in which the dreamer becomes aware of a separate consciousness with the dream. “I have come to think of it as a true self; an awareness hidden by layers of misguided core beliefs developed in childhood. What questions would you ask if you possessed such profound lucid wisdom?”
4. To practice and improve real life skills.
Why do we dream? What practical reason could there be for inventing landscapes in the mind? Could the ones who dream have an evolutionary advantage over those who do not? Who can say? There are many theories from the Freudian of subconscious sexual impulses manifesting themselves in imagery, to totally random firings of the brain, or that the dream help with memory formation. Some say that the dream is practice for life. The brain is able to problem solve and thus able to use what it learns and apply it to the real world. Dream training grounds…
5. To give greater meaning to life.
In my opinion the reason for life is meaning. It’s what drives all action and compels moral ideals that are greater than any individual can hope to be. Through dreams we can achieve something greater than ourselves and exist in a world beyond. There are different rules in the dream. Different rules to test our notions of what is real. Some rules are the same however and by testing against these boundaries can we gain a deeper sense of reality and thus have greater meaning.
There is so much that I have not touch about the dream. Just think; reuniting with the deceased, conquering your fears in a safe(?) envornment, processing complex emotions that allow for the next jump in consciousness. This is really the tool for massive self improvement and has to potential to bring expounding benefit to the core of life so that we may sit back and watch the abundance spread like fire throughout the soul. So if I am able to purswade anyone of anything let it be this: right before you fall asleep tonight tell yourself “tonight I will lucid dream”.